[Phys-L] Re: SACS question

At 11:36 AM 6/22/2005, John D., you wrote:
When it comes to hiring astronomers,
a) Would you hire someone who got a law degree, then
worked as a high-school Spanish teacher?
b) Would you hire a high-school dropout who started
out as a muleskinner, then worked his way up to janitor?
c) How 'bout if you hired them both and let them work
together?

(Yeah, I know this is completely nonresponsive to the
original question, but I couldn't resist. :-)

a) Perhaps, if it were an Oxford law degree?
b) A mule-skinner's always handy to have around, if a
woman would otherwise get the credit? Perhaps the first
woman, but not the last in the field of variable or pulsing
objects, the truly cynical might offer. :-)
c) Dynamite!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!