[Phys-L] Re: SACS question

--- Robert Cohen <Robert.Cohen@PO-BOX.ESU.ESU>EDUote:

This discussion reminds me of ones I occasionally
have with prospective
or in-service teachers who want to teach (or have
taught) physical
science in the middle school without ever taking a
physics course
themselves.

Of course, the answer is that they might be. Those
with the course work might not be.

Since it is often hard for someone to measure another
person's content knowledge without seeming arbitrary,
evaluators often fall back on outside arbitrators of
knowledge like successfully completing course work.

For example, I have been studying economics on my own
for the better part of ten years. At this point, I
think that I am more than competent to teach high
school economics, but it would be an uphill battle to
convince my colleagues of that fact.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay
San Francisco, CA 94121
<http://tochnit.jchsofthebay.org/~zkossover>