[Phys-L] Re: Use the Source, Luke

On 06/10/05 12:04, Bernard Cleyet wondered:

what source is.

Source (of an HTML page) is the HTML itself, as
opposed to the result you get when the HTML is
rendered and displayed on your screen.

If you're running firefox, you can view the
page source by going to the View menu and
selecting Page Source. I can't say for sure
how to do this in MSIE, but I'll bet it's
similar. If your browser doesn't make it
easy to look at the source, throw it out and
get a better browser.

On my machine, my browser doesn't have a
plugin that will play .wmv files, *and* I
have javascript turned off for security
reasons ... so there is no way I'm gonna
see any .wmv stuff embedded in HTML pages ...
unless I read the HTML source and find the
URL of the media file itself ... as I did
for the snowboarding file.

==================

More generally, consider the following query:

Q: "I really like the looks of that page over
there; I wonder how they did that".

A: Read the source for that page already. You
can see for yourself how they did it. This is
usually better & quicker than reading manuals.
HTML is reasonably readable, and was very explicitly
*intended* to be so, according to Tim Berners-Lee.

Some tools (I'm thinking of frontpage and winword in
particular) write nasty unreadble HTML ... which is
one of many reasons for avoiding those tools.