[Phys-L] Re: Lightning and indoor pools

Hi,

The majority of lightning deaths are split
betwenn farmers, golfers and sometimes boaters.
As a farm kid, when doing feild work, we often
pushed until the storm was close before heading
for the barn, I am a surprised we never had a
problem. The tractor was the high point in the
field.

Once I was on a pier, 1/4 miles out into Lake
Michigan as a storm was approaching. Watching the
coming storm was awesome. I touched my wife's
hand . . . SPARK, and again . . SPARK. Our hair
was standing up. We made a crouched run for
shore. We tried to warn people heading further
out the pier that it was dangerous, but no one
listened.

Thanks
Roger

All of this is silly worrying. In the last 13 years,
756 people have died of lightning related injuries, an
average of about 58 people per year.

And how many of the 58/year were swimming in *indoor* pools?