[Phys-L] Re: Lightning and indoor pools

All of this is silly worrying. In the last 13 years,
756 people have died of lightning related injuries, an
average of about 58 people per year.

On the other hand, there were 43,000 lethal car
accidents last year. 11,000 people from age 15 to 24
died in car wrecks, making being in a car the single
most dangerous activity a high schooler could perform.
If you want to maximize the lifespan of your child,
don't let them drive until later or let them ride with
inexperienced drivers.

--- Bernard Cleyet <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET> wrote:

This was the argument ME used in the previous thread
to stay away from
the wiring and plumbing. His argument is good enuff
for me to stay away
(out).

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9904&L=phys-l&P=R17822

What I mean about attracting lightning is that once
the lightning
entered the bldg. it would preferentially sink in
the pool. Don't know
about the conductivity of concrete; even if not
much less than the
floor the pool area is very large, so ....

bc, informed

Hugh Haskell wrote:
I believe I read somewhere (but can't remember
where now) that the
problem with swimming pools, indoor and outdoor,
is that a lightning
strike near a pool can cause rather large
transient currents that, if
someone is in a pool when the current surges
through it, can be
fatal. I have no further information to support
that statement, but
in the absence of hard data, I am not willing to
use myself as an
experimental subject for the test. Hence, when the
whistle blows, I
dutifully get out of the pool and wait until I am
authorized to go
back in. It may be an unnecessary precaution but I
am willing to give
them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they
use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay
San Francisco, CA 94121
<http://tochnit.jchsofthebay.org/~zkossover>