[Phys-L] Re: TV delay

At 11:18 AM 6/7/2005, Laurent H., you wrote:
My wife fairly frequently asks me about something she observed, and I can
often start my explanation with "It's just simple physics . . . "

The other day she asked me about something that sounded absurd, that I
didn't think she was observing properly, but to my surprise, she was correct!

We have a TV upstairs in our family room and another downstairs in our
bedroom. Our house is open enough that it is possible in some parts to
hear both TVs at the same time. Why, she asked me, are all the stations
broadcasting simultaneously on both sets except for one, our local PBS
station (Channel 11), which lags by a very noticeable second or so on one
of the TVs?

I didn't think this could be true, but it was. Has anyone else ever
noticed anything like this? Let's hear your theory before I say anything
more.

NPR stations use network feeds and they use local repeaters.
Sometimes you will find two versions of NPR material on
closely adjacent channels (89.9 & 90.1 in my case)
A given station may include a delay loop if there is live material
to be interspersed.

I take it that PBS TV may be similarly arranged.
So for me, the question would be: are two TVs really using the same signal?
It would be unusual to find an audio delay source inside a TV
(to say the least!)

But (reaching...) could one TV be recording to VCR
and replaying in-line?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!