[Phys-L] Re: TV delay

Do both TVs get their signal from the same cable line coming to your
house or does one TV get the RF signal through its antenna?

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Laurent Hodges
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:18 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: TV delay

My wife fairly frequently asks me about something she observed, and I
can
often start my explanation with "It's just simple physics . . . "

The other day she asked me about something that sounded absurd, that I
didn't think she was observing properly, but to my surprise, she was
correct!

We have a TV upstairs in our family room and another downstairs in our
bedroom. Our house is open enough that it is possible in some parts to
hear both TVs at the same time. Why, she asked me, are all the stations
broadcasting simultaneously on both sets except for one, our local PBS
station (Channel 11), which lags by a very noticeable second or so on
one
of the TVs?

I didn't think this could be true, but it was. Has anyone else ever
noticed anything like this? Let's hear your theory before I say
anything more.