[Phys-L] Re: god friendly science

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Rick Tarara wrote:

How dangerous are religions that oppose population control?

How important is religion to social order--are religious codes of conduct more powerful (because of the threat of eternal damnation or something equivalent) than civil codes? As hedonistic as our societies have become, how much more so would they be without wide spread religious belief?

Rick

Good question, and Aristotle gives you part of the answer. In his
discussion of play criticism in "Poetics" he sets out some familiar
ethical considerations. These are not based upon any religious
considerations but are, as I understand it, simply part of Greek culture.
The evidence is, then, that religion is irrevant to ethics.
Regards,
Jack