[Phys-L] Re: god friendly science

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

Have we been getting this message across to our students and to the
fundamentalists? If fundamentalists claim our teaching of
evolution is
akin to preaching atheism, are we vigorously claiming that we are
implying no such thing?

But we are denying the existence of THEIR god, which is just about as bad.

What I have taken from this thread is that there is (although we try and talk nicely around it) a division in the ranks of scientists. The theology of scientists seems to span from the 'fundamentalist' end to the agressive atheist end of the spectrum. The problem, it seems to me, is that most scientists would have some doubts about the scientific integrity of a colleague who held to a strict biblical interpretation of creation--somehow denying the scientific evidence to the contrary but then working along in say some other field supposedly using the methods of science there. Now what about those who through their studies of nature and the use of scientific methods and 'rational' thought have come to the conclusion that god is a fairy tale--at least the gods of our human created religions. Deep down, these people have to be somewhat skeptical of scientists, especially physicists, who have a strong faith in these 'fairy tales'. Where do they draw the line between science a
nd
faith? Likewise, for those of faith, how can they really trust those who deny the very existence of a central tenet of their lives, their god.

All this makes the effort to present a unified front against the attacks against science difficult.

As to other aspects of this thread:

Certainly throughout history millions have died (been killed) in the name of god. How often have economic/political wars been 'sold' to the common soldier as a holy undertaking? (And god is always on our side--which ever side that is!)

How dangerous are religions that oppose population control?

How important is religion to social order--are religious codes of conduct more powerful (because of the threat of eternal damnation or something equivalent) than civil codes? As hedonistic as our societies have become, how much more so would they be without wide spread religious belief?

Rick