[Phys-L] Re: god friendly science

Scientific American in an article on Natural Selection gave an example
of an evolutionary change. Before the coal age a common moth had
largely white wings variegated). As a result of the ubiquitous soot
(This is England.), the moth became "coal" black. Prediction w/ the N.
Sea gas age: it would become white. Well I'll be dammed, so it came to
pass.

BUT WAIT; Like so much of science there's more. The experiments as to
the cause (selective bird predation) were grievously flawed. We don't
know if it was selective predation or some other cause for the
industrial malanism.

http://www.origins.org/articles/wells_pepmoth.html

Note, this is from an intelligent design site, but I think the article
is factual and complete.

Finally I found a site not associated w/ intelligent design. I think a
rather good summary and defense of Darwinism. (I didn't find a reference
to the peppered month -- skimmed.)

http://www.kcfs.org/miller/response.html

This is the ninth result of my search *. That the first four were
intelligent design sites disturbs me. (The intervening are either from
the Sci. Am. or didn't appear applicable to the peppered moth discussion.)

Bad search; didn't include "peppered".

bc, student of Garrett Hardin

p.s. I think this requires more lit.. search, but count me out.

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Mark Kossover writes:

... The truth of a model, though, is determined by its ability to
have the predictions it makes turn out to be reflected by reality.

I'm quite certain that Mark simply misspoke here, but it is important
to understand that it is not possible to establish the "truth" of a
scientific model. The best we can do is to "validate" it, to
determine its usefulness or suitability, etc.

Science does not deal in "truth." Pretending that it does is
responsible for a lot of very dangerous mischief by its enemies.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona