[Phys-L] Re: Whither Introductory Physics Labs? (was Lab Reports - was HumanError)

Hmmm.... I see a certain resistance to a scientific, experiment based
approach to physics education testing. And where it would be impolitic
to attack a scientific approach directly, one can always attack
the validity of the objective test instruments advocated.

So I'll say it again: if you believe in the scientific methods you use for
physics, you need to measure the effects of teaching scientifically.
You measure results by valid measures.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!

The problem is that what most of us recognize as "a scientific, experiment
based approach" is not very easily (if at all) transferrable to educational
research. We now have way too many uncontrolled variables and it is almost
impossible to remove experimenter bias because it is all but impossible to
do the kind of double blind experiments that are really necessary to draw
unequivocal conclusions. Again, we've hashed this stuff around a lot, but
I'd suggest you go to all the PER based talks at the summer meeting and see
if these satisfy your view of "a scientific, experiment based approach". I
have to admit to being under whelmed by what I've heard at these meetings.

Rick