[Phys-L] Re: Arizona State University: Lecturer position in physics

I forgot last year to post my hearsay confirmation of Joe H's comment on
the teaching performance of some PhDs.

The chair of a Community College Phys. Dept. reported to me that he had
recently sat in on an intro. Physics course at the nearby U. to see how
the "big boys" did it. The Prof. was a Nobel Laureate. His demo.
involved an air track that wouldn't behave. He tried several times to
illustrate a collision? (This was about 40 year ago). He finally gave
up. It was obvious to the CC chair (my boss) that it just required
leveling. Every time he'd get it set up, return to the board, and return
to the track, the cart(s) would have drifted to one end. I think some
of the students were quietly sniggering.

OTOH We've all heard of at least one Laureate who was a fantastic
teacher at all levels.

bc

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> writes:

As this will be my final post to PHYS-L and I am unsubscribing
immediately after sending this, I see no harm in responding.

Joe,

No one wants you to unsubscribe. If you were learning from the list please
stay as your contributions have always been interesting, thoughtful and
thought provoking. We do have to wear flame retardants from time to time,
that is true but there is safety sitting here in the office in a yet to be
disclosed location.

Please reconsider.

Cheers

Ken Fox