[Phys-L] Re: Lab Reports (was Human Error)

John Clement wrote, inter alia:

=20

-----Original Message-----

From: John Clement [mailto:clement@HAL-PC.ORG]=20

Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:47 AM

To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU

Subject: Re: Lab Reports (was Human Error)

=20

Studio style physics courses (Workshop Physics) which are aimed at
improving

conceptual understanding also show the greatest gain on the MPEX, an

attitude survey. However, do they also show greater gains in the
ability to

reliably make and analyze measurements? To my knowledge, that
particular

facet of physics learning has no research based survey instrument ye=
t.

=20

Within all the appropriate caveats about anecdotal evidence, I have n=
ot
seen improved lab skills come from our studio-like course when compar=
ed
to the more traditional lab we used to offer. Once they get out of t=
he
intro course, we have to work harder in the major courses to bring th=
em
to the same place we used to get from the intro lab. =20

=20

"Penetrating so many secrets, we

cease to believe in the unknowable.

But there it sits, nevertheless,