[Phys-L] Re: Lightning Blows Hole in Windshield, Rubber Tires Saved Driver

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> writes:
It seems more likely that the
windshield took the brunt of this strike and it was the windshield that
saved the driver... not the tires.

A couple of pieces that are gnawing at me are the hole in the ground
(pavement) and the release of the airbags. I would think it possible that
the strike hit the ground right in front of the car making the ground hole
while the percussion was sufficient to activate the airbags and blow the
windshield. How did the location of the hole on the ground compare to the
position on the car where the windshield hole happen? I am thinking of a
"tight shock wave" concentrating ots pressure in a small portion of the
windshield.

Just a conjecture.

Ken Fox