[Phys-L] Re: Lightning Blows Hole in Windshield, Rubber Tires Saved Driver

Well if the current went through the windshield, then I would say it was
random chance that saved her. I would say that the steel frame is more
important because it will conduct the current around her. Also how do they
know the current went through the windshield? The rubber tires should make
the chance of a lightning strike less likely, but have no value otherwise.
The police probably have no good handbooks covering lightning strikes, but
they have excellent books on accidents, skids ...

Lightning is notoriously fickle. There are cases where it killed a flock of
sheep, but not the shepherd possibly because there was not much potential
difference between the two feet, or insulating shoes. At the Duke U. golf
course almost every year when I was there, a golfer was always at the same
hole. Then of course there are lightning strikes on the Empire state
building during many storms, but the occupants are usually unaware of them.
The steel frame is very effective.

Incidentally I know someone who as a child burned down her house by playing
with matches. The investigators blamed it on faulty bedsprings!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX