[Phys-L] Re: Whither Introductory Physics Labs? (was Lab Reports - was Human Error)

At 04:16 PM 5/6/2005, Richard Hake, you wrote:

"Contrary to comments by Uretsky and Hake, I think my labs and lab
reports are teaching exactly what I think they are teaching."

Perhaps Mike did not read my post carefully. I wrote:

//

Jack Uretsky replied to
Mike Edmiston's complaint [like this]

"Perhaps your labs are not teaching what you think they are teaching.
That is why both Hake and I went to totally different lab formats."

The above quote "Perhaps your labs are not teaching what you think
they are teaching," is by Uretsky, NOT Hake.

///

Richard Hake

Forgive my commenting on the evident insensibility to the
personal equation shown above: when one [no matter who] says,
"perhaps action A is not having the effect you think"
it is NOT a sufficient riposte to say " I think it is..."

This would be a fruitless matter of opinions, no more.
However, there is a method available to test opinions scientifically.
It is by objective testing via validated instruments.

Ah yes; we see such instruments mentioned, discussed, debated.
But can we also see learned opinions supported by such measures too?

Yours, more in sorrow than in ire
:-)

Brian