[Phys-L] Re: Lab Reports (was Human Error)

Verrry good! Now the question is: Would a different approach empower more
students?
Regards,
Jack

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Michael Edmiston wrote:

Contrary to comments by Uretsky and Hake, I think my labs and lab
reports are teaching exactly what I think they are teaching.

Students who were responsible, followed my advice, enjoyed science,
wanted to become better scientists... come back at homecoming or
commencement weekend and tell me over and over...

You taught me how to take and analyze data
You taught me how to debug experiments
You taught me how to recognize the critical parts
You taught me how to understand, calibrate, use instruments
You taught me how to write much more effectively than any of my English
classes

Every year, a handful of past graduates tell me these things. They tell
me they were way ahead of their colleagues in grad school or in the work
force as a result of these experiences. They thank me for pushing them
hard. This is exactly what I thought my labs were doing for these
students.

Students who were not responsible, did not follow my advice, who just
tried to get through with minimum effort... learned practically nothing.
This is exactly what I thought they were learning.

There's a continuum between the two extremes.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817