[Phys-L] Re: Reaction Time (was Re: Human Error?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>

"Someone will always offer--well you might not have started and stopped
the stopwatch precisely when the swing was at the MAXIMUM [bc's
emphasis] of the swing."

Since swing is written, I assume max. refers to max. displacement from
the equilibrium position, not maximum speed, which is the point I
thought EVERYONE was taught, whether by catechizing or just given, to
use as the point to start and stop the timer.

Certainly not for timing a pendulum, especially hand timing. The maximum
amplitude points are where the pendulum spends the most time--so the motion
is slower (although the acceleration is maximum) and it is easier to judge
the 'end points'. Electronic timing might well use the equilibrium
position, but I would never have students use it for hand timing.

Rick