From: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Spagna Jr., George
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 8:04 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Reaction Time (was Re: Human Error?)

<snip>
Typical reaction times are on the order of .25 s; the
stopwatches we use display precision on the order of +/- 5
ms. I suggest to my students that claiming the instrumental
limit as the uncertainty of their measurement is
unreasonable, especially for a single trial. Repeated trials
characteristically show a standard deviation consistent with
reaction time, rather than the stopwatch's displayed precision.