[Phys-L] Re: Reaction Time (was Re: Human Error?)

John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mallinckrodt [mailto:ajm@CSUPOMONA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 8:40 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Reaction Time (was Re: Human Error?)

If reaction time is genuinely a source of error in such experiments
then you need to go back to the drawing board and redesign the
experiment. Reaction time can only affect such measurements if, for
instance, a) you let your partner drop the ball while you run the
stopwatch AND you insist that your partner give you no warning or b)
you consciously refuse to watch the ball as it drops and wait for the
sound of the ball hitting the floor before stopping the watch.

Of course there will be variations in the times obtained from
successive time trials, but I maintain that they have essentially
nothing to do with the phenomenon that is properly called "reaction
time."

Typical reaction times are on the order of .25 s; the stopwatches we use
display precision on the order of +/- 5 ms. I suggest to my students
that claiming the instrumental limit as the uncertainty of their
measurement is unreasonable, especially for a single trial. Repeated
trials characteristically show a standard deviation consistent with
reaction time, rather than the stopwatch's displayed precision.

"The wise person doesn't give the right
answers, but poses the right questions."
- Claude Levi-Strauss

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College