[Phys-L] Re: Human Error?

Let me share some brief thoughts on this and a related idea.

I used to do labs and ask for 3 sources of "experimental" error (as
opposed to "calculational" errors). Their answers were often brief. We all
want our students to ANALYZE what they do, but few can (or even want to).
I have removed this part from my labs.

As teachers, we have to ask ourselves what are the BIG ideas in physics?
What do we want our students to "know" or "understand"-- whether it be
content or skills. For me, I don't care about significant figures, or
putting units in every number in every step of every equation. The
chemistry teachers seem to do this more. What matters to me is the PROCESS
over the PRODUCT. Did they use the right equation and plug in the right
numbers? Do they know fundamental concepts, and can they apply them to new
situations ("critical thinking")? I also give them formula sheets -- less
likely to make a mistake memorizing them.

I am thinking about changing my labs next year to make them analyze their
data more. I would like to hear other thoughts on these issues.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Friday, April