[Phys-L] Re: Human Error?

Well, we should start a support group.

However, I would like to add a few of my thoughts on the topic. First,
up to now, I haven't explicitly taught error analysis and uncertainty
in my physics lab. I am not proud of that, and I do have goals to
change this. Second, there are situations where "human error" plays a
role; however, those things should be described precisely (no pun
intended). For example, uncertainty in timing with a stopwatch is not
due to the measuring device but due to reaction time. I suppose that a
proper way to measure this is to repeat the measurement many times and
find the standard deviation of the measurements. Of course, students
should refer to this uncertainty as being due to reaction time and
should calculate it appropriately.

Aaron