[Phys-L] Re: Science curriculum sequence: Grades 6 - 12

Absolutely. Unfortunately standard geometry courses not only are not very
effective, but they also instill fear of math. The McDermott material has a
great deal of effectiveness. If geometry and algebra were taught the same
way, we would be getting students competent and confident in math.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

If you look at the McDermott material on light and shadows there is lots
that will enhance students' understanding of geometry, and even get them
to overcome their fear. I have a student who froze the first time she
looked at a diagram of how light passes through a large hole and strikes
a screen...she said it reminded her of high school geometry, and she
locked up. After about 3 weeks of work with it on paper and seeing what
happens as she does things, and how well she can predict from the
drawings, she seems to have lost her fright.