[Phys-L] Science curriculum sequence: Grades 6 - 12

A question about curriculum for the academy.

My district is considering changing the sequence of science courses i=
n grades 6-12. I am trying to get a survey of successful curricula in=
cluding course levels or tracks, pre- and co-requisites for specific =
courses, and grade level sequences. In our high school presently, we =
only require 3 years of science. Freshmen take physical science; soph=
omores take biology; juniors take chemistry. Physics and AP courses a=
re elective and usually reserved for seniors. I am afraid this progre=
ssion of coursework does not permit all interested students to take a=
dvanced science courses. In addition, we are anticipating Pennsylvani=
a System of School Assessment (PSSA) in the next few years and need t=
o think about aligning with Pennsylvania standards.=20

I would appreciate any feedback and the opportunity to review what yo=
ur district does in science. Please reply on this forum and/or privat=
ely to rextivius@hotmail.com.=20

Thanks for your assistance.

Joseph Skubis

Harry S Truman High School