[Phys-L] Re: Quotation

At 11:32 AM 4/24/2005, Pentcho Valev wrote:
[quoting] Bryan Wallace:

"I expect that the scientists of the future will consider the dominant
abstract physics theories of our time in much the same light as we now
consider the Medieval theories of how many angels can dance on the head of
a pin or that the Earth stands still and the Universe moves around it."

http://www.ekkehard-friebe.de/wallace.htm

Pentcho Valev

Quantizing angels on a pin head was a theological research
topic of the middle ages, rather than being at all scientific.

Still, one COULD point to Galilean Relativity as
a science theory that was all well and good, but inadequate in the
light of Special and General Relativity.

And one can suppose that as science proceeds, some other theory
will find S & G Relativity inadequate in the light of some other
experimental circumstance.

This is the height of science orthodoxy, of course.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!