[Phys-L] Re: sound frequency in helium

Vocal cords have nothing to do with it. I use a recorder (Flutophone,
Dixie Whistle, etc.) with the holes taped shut and powered by a balloon
(preventing me from altering pitch by breath). The pitch change using
a helium-filled balloon vs, an air-filled balloon is the same as that
found in speech.

No; as I mentioned last week, it isn't at all the same.

See <http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0504&L=phys-l&D=0&O=D&P=24514>

Short version: In speech, it is the (fundamental) frequency (of a
complex waveform) that is primary. In pipes it is the wavelength
that is primary.

I also second Mark's nomination and Brian's praise for Joe Wolfe's materials at

<http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/PHYSICS_!/SPEECH_HELIUM/speech.html>