[Phys-L] Re: sound frequency in helium

At 10:22 PM 4/19/2005, Moses, you wrote:
The statement that it is frequency, which is primary fixed characteristics
of vocal cords, rather than wavelength, does not make much sense to me -
for two reasons. First, I do not see a physical mechanism maintaining the
constant frequency. In particular, it is not clear to me how we can adjust
muscular strain to do it. Second, and more important, if I understand
correctly, the fixed frequency, by mere definition of the word fixed,
is being maintained fixed expressly for the point of remaining constant
under different conditions. Then how come that it changes with changing
chemical composition of gas in resonaiting cavity? What do the words
"fixed frequency" mean in this context?

Moses Fayngold

Moses, you seem to have developed an 'idee fixee' on the topic of the vocal
folds'
frequency determination.

That happens, sometimes.

The very best reference in the thread, complete with sound samples, sonograms,
explanations, Uncle Tom Cobley an' All, came from Marc Kossover.
Here it is again.

Brian Whatcott

From: Marc Kossover <zeke_kossover@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Re: sound frequency in helium

Check out
<http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/PHYSICS_!/SPEECH_HELIUM/speech.html>
for a pretty complete model of how and why helium
changes the sound of a voice. It includes spectrum
analyses and sound samples.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!