[Phys-L] Re: sound frequency in helium

hi thanks for the enlightening explanation. Does it follow that if a =
pure=20
sound wave (i.e. one produced by tuning fork) is used in such activit=
y, the=20
pitch will not appear to change, since there is only one frequency?

On 4/18/05, Folkerts, Timothy J <FolkertsT@bartonccc.edu> wrote:=20
=20
Julie,
=20
It is only sort of a change in pitch.
=20
Suppose you sing a particular note - i.e. produce a particular fund=
am=3D
ental frequency for the vibrations of the vocal cords. Of course, t=
h=3D
ere are also harmonics of this frequency that are produced. The par=
t=3D
icular sound that comes out depends on the shape of the mouth/tongu=
e/=3D
throat. The size and shape of the vocal tract creates different res=
=3D
onances which enhance or repress different harmonics. The relative =
a=3D
mount of different harmonics determines determines the quality (or =
ti=3D
mbre) of the sound.
=20
When you have a mouth full of helium, the speed of sound is much hi=
gh=3D
er. Even if the vocal tract is the same shape, the resonace frequen=
c=3D
es are much higher. The lowest frequencies are no longer in resonan=
c=3D
e, so they are attenuated. New, higher pitched harmonics are in res=
o=3D
nance, so they are enhanced.
=20
In a nutshell - the original vibrations are the same, but the reson=
an=3D
t frequencies are much higher.
=20
Tim F