[Phys-L] inhaling helium

Regarding the speed of sound in different gases, is it safe to inhale
helium to show this? (I've never tried it.) I've never heard it wasn't
safe, but a student today told me a friend of his "passed out" while
attempting this (details are vague). The helium is less dense than air,
and should easily clear out of your lungs. So it should be relatively
safe. Right?