[Phys-L] Re: Help on a problem from Goldstein

Rats! Another embarrassing typo! In response to Leigh I wrote:

Leigh, I don't quite know what you're up to with your particular
version of this orbital precession problem and its seemingly
manually inserted counter-terms in the potential function, but I
thought I would point out that it is possible to map the exact
*general* relativistic version of the problem's orbit (in standard
Schwarzschild coordinates) onto a corresponding *Newtonian* problem
with a particularly chosen attractive 1/r^3 potential (1/r^4 force)
counter-term in addition to the actual 1/r^2 potential present.

Of course I *meant* to write "in addition to the actual 1/r
potential..." *not* 1/r^2 in the last line above. Sheesh.

David Bowman