[Phys-L] Re: homework lookup

To perhaps extend what Rick T. stated:

________________________

| While not the greatest backer of all the PER stuff, I can
| readily agree with the research that says solving lots of
| problems does not _guarantee_in_any_way_ that the student has
| mastery of the underlying concepts.

I think the PER people are creating a bit of a straw-man with some of
these statements. Granted ability to solve plug-in, regurgitation style
problems is no guarantee of mastery of underlying concepts. By why
consider only those style problems?

Mastery of --- "And all this just when some authors have started
including much better problems (those that are not so amenable to
algorithmic solutions) in their texts." --- is close to a guarantee. If
not sufficient, it's at least necessary to mastery of the underlying
concepts. I believe Feynman was quoted as saying "if you can't do the
problems you don't understand the material . . ." The difficulty with
readily available solutions (and the internet makes them readily
available in a fashion that fraternities never achieved; at least in my
experience) is that it converts those problems to something even less
than plug-in/regurgitation problems. Obviating the pedagogical
advantage of having those style problems in the first place.

And as Rick noted, the only solution is "yet more work for us". Which
is why I refered to it as less than optimal.

Leigh, I've created the thread you asked for: I'm expecting you to chime
in :-)

Joel R.