[Phys-L] Re: Two ways of refuting Einstein

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:46:56 -0400, Ken Caviness <caviness@SOUTHERN.EDU>
wrote:

There are different types of frustration, different causes. There is the
frustration of seeing this nutcase repeatedly diss Einstein, a
Nobel-prizewinning genius-caliber scientist, over and over again, the
frustration of not being able to respond because that's just "feeding the
troll", the frustration of thinking that visitors or new members in this
forum may come to believe the ridiculous assertions simply because they are
not challenged, and because certain quotes are given to bolster the claims.

What is the answer?

We could ask the list owner to remove this individual's subscription to the
list. But that seems to me to be contrary to the spirit of scientific
enquiry, even if, admittedly, science is not much advanced by these posts.

In my opinion, if one person (perhaps a different person each time, to ease
the burden) would give a 5-minute rebuttal of each new Einstein flame,
everyone would immediately see that the assertions are not left
unchallenged, and we could then allow each new thread to die. At that
point
I would strongly argue that no good is done by continuing the "discussion",
since the instigator clearly doesn't read the responses anyway. (I speak
from experience, having rebutted several past diatribes, and then noticing
that further messages did not even begin to address my points.)

One quick fix is a canned response with a URL given. There was one posted
here last year which exposed fallacies in Pentcho Valev's postings on
thermodynamics. If no-one beats me to it, I propose to create a similar
page about Mr. Valev's statements regarding relativity. I think I've kept
enough of them to be able to give an assortment of his statements and
rebuttals that have appeared in this forum. I will start in approximately
2
weeks,

Great. In the meantime, see this:

http://surf.de.uu.net/bookland/sci/farce/farce_toc.html