[Phys-L] Re: LaTeX in physics

On 4/13/05 11:40 AM, "James Frysinger" <frysingerj@COFC.EDU> wrote:

By comparison to AJP, IEEE used to require LaTeX (with AMS extensions)
then
reverted to Adobe Framemaker (prefered) or MS Word (accepted). They claim
that too many people loaded too many obscure "macros" and style documents.
However, they have a converter for transforming documents from MS Word to
Framemaker, they say. Still, there's a lot of manual typesetting that needs
doing. They will use PDF files for a "specimen" of how the document should
look but claim they cannot convert PDF to Framemaker. It drives me nuts ---
and I surely cannot afford Framemaker nor do I care to undergo the long and
steep learning curve needed to use it.

Jim

Howdy,

Now that's just great. Framemaker is essentially dead on the Mac; that's why
I went back to LaTeX after several years absence. There is a great resource
for Mac OS X TeX at <http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/> and graphics
inclusion, etc., has gotten to be fairly simple.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs@wideopenwest.com)