[Phys-L] Re: LaTeX in physics

A very brief manual for LateX is included in the UCSC Advanced Lab. man.
(at least when I was publishing it.) And the manual and syllabus very
strongly recommended learning it "now" and submitting reports using it.

Copies of Knuth's early man. available in the lab along w/ the AIP style
man. (ca. 1995).

Previously, UNIX for Luddites was available w/ instruction for T and
NROFF. Like dorm food many complained about VI, but I still think it
was better than early word -- I'm very ambiguous about the mouse.

So there!

bc, extremely surprised

p.s. SCIPP labs. used Macs, because, as the mgr. said, it took less
"training" for the foreign students and visiting researchers. Offices
had SPARK stns. One long time lab. instructor pushes LINUX

John Denker wrote:

A representative of a publishing house just told me that "LaTeX isn't
commonly used in physics"

That's preposterous.

which surprised me a lot.

Me too.

I assume she meant this for all packages and varieties (e.g. REVTeX).

If you are using REVTeX you ipso facto using LaTeX.
REVTeX is just a macro package that runs under LaTeX.
http://publish.aps.org/revtex4/

the APS journals prefer LaTeX and have been accepting
LaTeX a lot longer than they've been accepting MSword
files.

I know of one major university where the very first
computer-typeset PhD thesis that was ever accepted
came from the physics department. (Guess how I know.)

I can't exactly prove it, but I imagine the density
of non-MS PCs is higher in the physics department
than anywhere else except maybe the computer-science
department.

=============

Something to keep in mind: Science majors go into
science. English majors go into publishing. As a
consequence, it is very common for a scientific
author to use wizard-friendly tools like LaTeX
while the publisher is more familiar with Muggle-
friendly tools like MSword.

If you're publishing a book it doesn't matter at
all, because the printing presses all accept PDF,
and the output of pdftex works just fine.

The only time it matters is if you're submitting
a chapter or section that will be part of a larger
work. Then the editor needs to be able to massage
whatever you submit.