[Phys-L] Re: Help on a problem from Goldstein

Leigh,

Apparently the assignment is to apply special, but not general
relativity. I suppose I'd try to solve the equation

-G M r_vec/r^2 = d(gamma v_vec)/dt

separating out the radial and azimuthal components and performing
something like the usual small amplitude radial oscillation analysis
to find the apsidal angle.

But maybe that isn't saying anything you hadn't already thought of
and the stumbling block lies further along that path.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

Problem 13 from Chapter 6 of Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics" reads:

Show that the relativistic motion of a particle in an attractive
inverse square law of force is a precessing ellipse. Compute the
precession of the perihelion of Mercury resulting from this
effect. ( The answer, about 7" per century, is much smaller than
the actual precession of 40" per century which can be accounted
for correctly only by general relativity.)

Can someone kickstart my brain with a hint as to what approach I should
consider to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Leigh