[Phys-L] Re: Skin effect??

If the ring is Al in appearance it may contain Cu to harden (soln.
followed by quench and precipitation)

common alloy is 2024 w/ ~ 4% Cu.

Cu? well, 99+%

The circulation in one part of the ring is most likely, I think. Note
transformers are made of thin insulated sheets to reduce eddy current loss.

bc, who thinks everyone knows this already

p.s. A very common demo * is a copper bobbed pendulum passing thru a
PM's gap. One with vertical slits is compared w/ one w/o. Even the one
w/o is damped, sl. (* Even played w/ one in the Moscow Sci/tech museum.)

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:
I'm sure that John Denker is correct and I doubt that his reply,
below, has any flaws in the reasoning. However I was wondering
if the ring could possibly contain a material that is usually
repelled by a strong magnet

Herb