[Phys-L] Lenz's law

I have a question about a demonstration showing Lenz's Law. While a
ring is hanging if we bring a fairly strong magnet towards it the ring
repels and when the magnet is moved out the ring attracts. We usually
don't see this effect if we have a ring that has a slit in it. However
today I used a very strong magnet and I was able to move the ring with
the slit. Any thoughts on this
Mangala Joshua
Mesa Community College