[Phys-L] Re: A "simple" physics problem?

If water evaporates from the ocean because of an increase in
global temperature (say the sun's output rises slightly) then
there is more mass in the atmosphere. The N2 and O2 content
probably won't change significantly. If I take the new (higher)
weight of the atmosphere and divide it by the surface area of the
earth, I get the globally averaged pressure (which is higher than
before the evaporation).

Did I miss the point of the discussion somewhere?

Bob at PC

I first imagine I am on Earth, where the water warms up.

I lack the model for the notoriously problematic dynamics of
the
atmosphere, but still, I hazard the guess:
the pressure over oceans drops, while moist airmass circulates
to dry land, which sees increased precipitation, and higher
surface pressure.

I next attempt to visualize a water world whose water mass
warms throughout. Increased evaporation, reduced integrated
atmospheric density for that reason. Now, does pressure rise,
or fall at sea level? Not sure: what's your view?

Brian W

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!