[Phys-L] Re: Mississippi puzzle

OK, I'll bite and embarrass myself

Method 1

Average rainfall for US = 36" or 1m

=> 1M^3 per M^2 per year

Area of US = 5000 km by 3500 km =>

1.75 X 10^13

Mississipi drainage basin is about half the area of the lower 48 =>

** 1X10^13 m^3 per year **

Method 2

Cross-sectional area of Mississippi at mouth

1km by 100m (I think this may be too big, but honesty forces me to give
my first estimates)

Speed at mouth = 10 km/hr (same comment)

Volume per hour = 10^9 m^3 per hour

Times hours in a year

= ** 10^13 m^3 per year **

Joel Rauber