[Phys-L] Re: A "simple" physics problem?

Simple. Water level will do DOWN. The lead displaces LESS water when
sinking than when floating in the ice cube. An easy way to show this (part
of my fluids lab) is float a 200-g mass in a styrofoam cup in a beaker of
water. Note the water levels. Then take the mass out of the cup and into
the beaker. The results are clear and dramatic.

Great question!

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday, April