[Phys-L] Re: No atmosphere=no splashing!

At 12:55 PM 4/1/2005, you wrote:
Check out the movies at http://kauzmann.uchicago.edu/
No splashing (ripples) if the atmosphere is removed?
Can someone please offer an explanatory model?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/
trebor@winbeam.com

I didn't read the paper - but the movies were pretty.
It is consistent with my prejudice that the spreading skirt
gets aerodynamic lift and the accompanying drag provides
increasing recurve at the hem, until the ST force no longer
holds the hem of the skirt, and it breaks into beads.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!