[Phys-L] Re: FL stamps out dictator professors

--- Aaron Titus <titus@MAILAPS.ORG> wrote:
I'm curious how John would define a religious
zealot.
I would define a
religious zealot as
one who is deeply passionate and committed to her or
his faith.

...which is true, but it implies more than that.

I haven't followed this thread, but "zealot" does
imply violence.

From Webster's New World Dictionary, Third Edition,
"zealot implies extreme or excessive devotion to a
cause and vehement activity in its support."

From dictionary.com,
"n 1: a member of an ancient Jewish sect in Judea in
the first century who fought to the death against the
Romans and who killed or persecuted Jews who
collaborated with the Romans [syn: Zealot] 2: a
fervent and even militant proponent of something"

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay

Where we find it interesting that the term once
refered to a certain group of Jews.