[Phys-L] Inventing or discovering?

On Saturday, Mar 26, 2005 Jim Green wrote

. . . We don't discover a "unique force vector"; we invent the
of a vector with the wild hope that our calculations will be
made easier. If we divide a set "force vectors" by the
associated charge, we have the _invented_ concept of a
"vector field." We have not _discovered_ a field.
Nevertheless sometimes we reify the idea of a field.
This is just fine as long as we remember that this is an
invention not a bucket of stuff we have discovered. . . .

What a coincidence; the message posted by Allison Innes was the very
next on my screen this morning. Allison wrote:

There is a mountain of evidence proving that Bell did,
indeed, invent the telephone. Granted, other people were
working on similar (and unsuccessful)ideas, but Bell was
the first to successfully invent the telephone.

Telephone was "invented," X rays were "discovered" and the electric
field was "reified." What makes these three terms different?

P.S. Which term is the most appropriate for "energy," "angular
momentum," and "black hole" in physics?

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.