[Phys-L] Re: Polarity of a 1F (super) capacitor

Check out other caps. Is not the shorter lead the neg. one?

http://www.chemi-con.com/guide/pg3.php

However this site (below) claims supercaps. are reversed. Usually the
can (case) is negative. Does it have a metal case and is it connected
to one of the leads?

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:xnP10UV2HrUJ:www.cs.huji.ac.il/course/2003/postPC/docs/Lecture_material/Batteries.pdf+polarity+capacitor+lead++shorter+negative+supercapacitor&hl=en

The above is the Google HTML copy of a PDF. The first line includes
the URL for the original (PDF). It appears to be a knowledgeable site.

bc, Googler

Paul D. Price wrote:

Friends,

I have recently purchased several 1 F electrolytic (super) capacitors for
several labs and demos. However, I am having trouble discerning which side
is positive for the polarity of the capacitor. I note the the cap has a
long and short connector, but there is little else (such as an arrow etc) to
clearly define the polarity. Before I accidentally reverse the polarity
while charging does anyone with a 1F cap have any insight for me to
guarantee the polarity direction?

Thanks,
Paul