[Phys-L] Re: PHYS-L Digest - 24 Mar 2005 - Special issue (#2005-104)

[Original Message]
From: Carl Mungan <mungan@USNA.EDU>

Let me get this straight, Rick: you teach mechanics in one semester,
then thermo/E&M/optics in a second semester of the same number of
weeks?

That sounds like a very heavy second semester. I believe that a
natural point to segue from mechanics to thermo is when energy is
introduced, so it more naturally fits into the first semester.

Also, what about oscillations and mechanical waves? To my tastes, I
would put higher priority on these two topics than rotations (at
least kinematics, and as much of the dynamics as I could bear to
toss, perhaps keeping only torque & angular momentum).

I do MOTION in the first semester. So besides normal mechanics, we do
oscillations and waves, and special relativity all in the first semester.
This sequence was first developed for my Gen-Ed class but I find it works
fine for my Calc level class as well.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics