[Phys-L] Re: Goals of the Introductory Course

To put together a course which really changes how students think you should
look at the various courses designed by PER. Look at Workshop Physics at
Dickinson College, the Scaleup project by Beichner at NC State, the work
of Alan Van Heuvelin, McDermott et al at Washington State, Leonard et al a
U.Mass Amherst...

Unfortunately the actual change in thinking is generally far less than it
could be, and is usually zero. To assess changes in thinking use the
Classroom Test of Scientific Thinking from Anton Lawson's book "Science
Teaching and the Development of Reasoning". Then of course use the FCI as a
pre and posttest.

All of the articles you need to look at have been published in The Physics
Teacher, American Journal of Physics, and Journal of Research in Science
Teaching. Then of course read Aron's book "Teaching Introductory Physics"
cover to cover several times. Finally the book "Really Raising Standards"
by Shayer and Adey can provide much insight into student thinking.

Finally a little known thesis published in the late 80s has some powerful
insights into student problem solving. M. C. Mehl, "The Cognitive
difficulties of first year physics students at the University of the Western
Cape and various Compensatory Programmes", Univ. of Capetown, Jun 1985. He
raised a 50% failure rate to a 100% passing rate.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX