[Phys-L] Re: Energy & Projectile Lab

On 03/18/05 14:43, Dwight K. Souder wrote:
Can anyone suggest where I might be able to find large metal ball
bearings?

Here's an existence proof: Go to _Small Parts Inc._
http://www.smallparts.com/

In this case, search on "balls" then click on "chrome steel
balls". You want the one-inch critters; they're $1.66 apiece
if you buy ten.

More generally, an important part of mad-scientist training
is to learn about "Small Parts Inc.". They've been in business
for decades. Their name is pretty much their mission statement.

If I can't find metal balls, I may test it using golf balls.

Should work after a fashion ... better than nothing. They are,
however, optimized for being hit a lot harder, creating a flat
spot at the "point" of contact, so the dimples get flattened
and/or averaged out. With lesser impact, the dimples will
make the direction of flight somewhat irreproducible. (The
dimples are there to improve the aerodynamics, but again that
is only helpful at much higher airspeeds.)

If you can get the ultra-hard ultra-elastic rubber balls at
the toy store, I'd put them on the list ahead of golf balls
(and behind steel balls).

The original brand-name "superball" (tm by Wham-O) is out
of production, but knockoffs are being mfgd, e.g.
http://stores.ebay.com/Vending-USA-COM_Superball-Hi-Bouncing-Balls_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm