[Phys-L] Re: Energy & Projectile Lab

It does indeed sound like your "error" is due to the (significant) ro=
tational energy of the ball. As in many experiments, the discrepancie=
s arise because of real physics that hasn't been accounted for, not b=
ecause of poor experimental technique.=20
=20
In my experience, students are often confused by projectile motion, a=
nd confused again by rotational motion. The confusion is so great tha=
t perhaps it's better not to mix these two difficult concepts in the =
same lab. For example, when I do projectile motion, we use a photoga=
te to measure the ball's velocity at the edge of the table. I don't =
have the students calculate it based on the height and angle of the r=
amp, because they're not ready for that complication yet. Besides, fr=
iction in the system can lead to significant energy losses even when =
rotational motion is taken into account, so that any projectile calcu=
lation based on the intial potential energy is bound to fail.
=20
How about bouncing some balls instead? The students can measure the =
height of the first bounce and compare it to the initial drop height.=
If you have photogate timers, you might be able to directly measure=
the velocity of the ball right before it hits the floor, to calcluat=
e a kinetic energy. They can measure the coefficient of restitution (=
bounce height/initial height) of various types of balls and the amoun=
t of energy lost per bounce. They could use the information to predi=
ct the height of, say, the third bounce. If you want to do projectile=
-motion parabolas, try dropping the balls vertically onto a slightly =
tilted board in order to get a launch angle. I haven't done this, but=
it has a chance of working.=20
=20
Or maybe there's something you can do with those suction-cup "popper"=
toys in which the energy is stored in a spring and, after some delay=
, the toy pops into the air. These can be placed on a tilted surface=
, too.
=20
Just an idea or two...if you try 'em, I'd be curious to know how they=
work out.
=20
Vickie Frohne
vfrohne@ben.edu

=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Dwight K. Souder