[Phys-L] Re: Anti-Americanism creeps in to science teaching debate

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, James Mackey wrote:

Jack Uretsky wrote:
______________________________snip____________________________________
James Mackey's post reminds me of the story of the first school
teacher:
When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden they studiously
set about obeying the divine injunction to procreate their kind. Soon
they were surrounded by a horde of screaming, demanding children. At
their wits end, the first couple knelt down and prayed for help. Sure
enough, off in the distance, they saw a great cloud forming. The cloud
rose into the air, approached, descended and touched the ground. Out
stepped the world's first teacher.
She looked at Adam, she looked at Eve, then she looked at the
horde of disheveled, screaming, unruly children and shook her head. "We
never would have put up with this in the old days," she said.
Regards,
Jack

and James wrote:
____________________________________snip________________________________

Absolutely I agree! Question my assumptions as well. If you really had
interest, and opportunity, we could discuss where we are each coming
from in our assumptions and then perhaps understand the other viewpoint
(right or wrong, in our judgement!).

I'm not certain I see the connection of the story about the first school
teacher, unless the point is that one always assumes the past was better?
James Mackey

You're getting close, Jim. Stories lose their punch when they're
explained, but when you get the point you'll see that there's nothing to
discuss - uou old schoolteacher, you.

Regards,
Jack