[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

So, you're convinced? (ina diff. way)

The fire I started a half hour now has a hot bed of coals. DC prompted
a try; the diff. was obvious w/ ina few seconds. (@ very near field)

bc, graduated from kitchen to fireplace Physicist.

p.s. Sci Am. had an article on the design of a more efficient grate;
exposed the coals.

Daniel Crowe wrote:

I just tried the demo. I held my hands near a 300-W halogen lamp with my
fingers parallel to the axis of symmetry of the bulb. The palm of my left
hand was approximately normal to the line from the center of my hand to
the center of the bulb; my right hand was tilted by approximately 45
degrees from that orientation. The centers of both palms were
approximately 20 cm from the surface of the bulb. After approximately a
minute, the palm of my left hand was noticeably warmer than the palm of my
right hand, even than the part of my right palm that was closer to the
bulb. I did not coat the surfaces of my palms.

Daniel Crowe
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
Ardmore Regional Center
dcrowe@sotc.org